Do you have an interest in biological systems, living organisms, or parts of this to develop or create…
The post Biotechnology Courses in Canada appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Do you have an interest in biological systems, living organisms, or parts of this to develop or create different products? Then pursuing a course in Biotechnology is what you can aim for! A wide range of universities in Canada offers an array of Biotechnology courses. Biotechnology courses in Canada are considered to be one of the best in the world. With the world’s leading and top-ranking universities offering an array of courses to international students, it is a win-win situation for students to choose to study in Canada and pursue biotechnology courses in Canada too. Hence, to know more about top-ranking and renowned biotechnology courses in Canada, read this blog till the very end.
Also Read: Biotechnology Courses After Class 12th
Branches of Biotechnology
Just like the rainbow, the different biotechnology applications are grouped into seven colors or research and development areas. Let’s see some of them before jumping onto biotechnology courses in Canada.
- Red biotechnology: This is the health branch that is responsible, according to the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO), for the development of more than 250 vaccines and medications such as antibiotics and the production of artificial organs.
- Green biotechnology: It is used by more than 11 million farmers worldwide to fight pests and nourish crops and strengthen them against microorganisms and extreme weather events, such as droughts and frosts.
- White biotechnology: The industrial branch works to improve manufacturing processes, the development of biofuels and other technologies to make the industry more efficient.
- Yellow biotechnology: This branch is focused on food production and, for example, it carries out research to reduce the levels of saturated fats in cooking oils.
- Blue biotechnology: This exploits marine resources to obtain aquaculture, cosmetics, and health care products.
Now that we are aware of what biotechnology is, let’s see the types of courses we can do.
Different Biotechnology Courses in Canada
- Bachelors in Biotechnology
- Masters in Biotechnology
- Diploma in Biotechnology
Biotechnology Courses in Canada: Top Universities
Let’s look at some of the top universities which provide Biotechnology courses in Canada.
Eligibility for Biotechnology Courses in Canada
Before applying to Biotechnology courses in Canada make sure that you fulfill all the requirements which are mentioned in the eligibility criteria.
Bachelors in Biotechnology: Admission to an undergraduate BSc program in biotechnology can be done on completion of high school with English, biology, chemistry, and mathematics. Generally, a minimum grade of B must be maintained in order to continue with a major or honors degree in biotechnology.
Masters in Biotechnology: Graduates in biology, chemistry, molecular biology, genetics, and related fields are eligible for graduate programs in biotechnology. On completion of the master’s degree, students are required to submit a thesis.
Diploma in Biotechnology: Biotechnology programs typically require an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, including grade 12 English and grade 12 math credits. Additional science credits are usually required, but vary depending on the institution.
Now that we are well versed with the eligibility criteria let’s see the important documents required for applying to biotechnology courses in Canada.
- Scanned copy of passport
- Academic transcripts from your previous institution, that is
- School-leaving certificate, if applying for a Bachelors course
- Bachelor’s degree certificate, if applying to a Masters course
- Any other relevant certificates of merit
- Proof of language proficiency like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc
- Entrance test scores (if required)
- Letter of recommendation, if needed
- Statement of purpose for Canada
- Resume or CV, if needed
Students can explore a variety of career options after studying biotechnology in Canada. With a huge demand for jobs in this field, over 33% of biotechnology and life sciences employers report skills shortages and 20% have job vacancies in their companies. Here are a few job prospects for students to explore.
- Clinical Operations.
- Laboratory Medicine.
- US Healthcare.
- Medical Coding.
- Medical Billing.
- Laboratory Techniques.
- Clinical Research.
Scope and Salary of Biotechnology
The scope for biotechnology as a career option is immense as we live in exciting times where there are amazing discoveries, new applications, and innovative products on the market every day. There are various organizations that serve as great resources for those who are just entering the field of biotechnology. The average salary of biotechnology graduates is around 3 lakh – 18 lakh p.a. Biotechnologists are at the forefront of the continuous search to find new, sustainable food sources. They can work in various work environments like the industrial sector, environmental sector, medical sector, food manufacturing, healthcare, and pharmaceuticals. Professionals in this field can specialize in one or more subfields like genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics.
Read this to know more about Scope of Biotechnology
Biotechnology Courses in Canada are being offered by some of the most renowned universities in Canada, choosing an elective is as important as selecting a particular university. Leverage Edu has experts who can help you in sorting out which university to go to and what course to choose with the help of our AI-powered AI Course Finder tool. Register today for a free counselling session!